Thursday, October 14, 2010

Toby and the Baby

It’s come to my attention that there has been little to no mention of our Toby on this blog. I’m shocked, as it would seem that our whole lives revolve around the 14 lb miniature schnauzer. That is until lately. My fears are being confirmed, Toby has already taken a backseat to our baby.
Since learning I was expecting I’ve been mourning over Toby being bumped down the attention chain. I know it has to happen, it’s natural and certainly expected that a baby come before the needs of a dog. But still it makes me sad. In fact it makes me very sad.

Little Toby has admittedly been our pride and joy since the day we brought him home at a mere 2 lbs. Even Aaron, who originally had concerns not just about the breed we/I chose but owning a dog in general, fell immediately in love. Toby had us from day one and the fact that he behaved so well and was easily trained only made it more so.

In the two years that we’ve had him he’s become our cuddle buddy, our constant companion and truly a piece of our family. He loves us like crazy and we love him too, so the thought of him feeling unloved or unwanted when baby comes breaks my heart.

There is a sweet but sad book called McDuff and the Baby which fits right in here. McDuff is a good dog who has a good life with his owners Fred and Lucy. He gets to do all sorts of fun things with them and of course he loves them. Until one day when Fred and Lucy bring home a baby. The baby cries and pulls McDuff’s hair. They can’t go on the same kind of walks and overall McDuff feels replaced and forgotten. (This is where I start to tear). 
Then one day Lucy notices that McDuff won’t eat. (Now I cry). So Fred and Lucy start doing all the old things they did with McDuff before the baby came like read him the comics, let him eat sausage and vanilla rice pudding and take him on walks in his favorite place. In the end everyone is happy again and there they all sit Fred, Lucy, baby and McDuff hand in hand happy to be a family together. (By now I’m sobbing, barely able to be consoled).

I know things are going to be different, there’s no way they won’t be, but both Aaron and I have vowed to do our very best to let Toby know he has not been replaced. He might have to be moved over a little, or a lot, but he’s still important and very much loved.

It now occurs to me after 400-some odd words that perhaps it’s me we should be concerned about…I really need to stop crying.
Toby's McDuff face

1 comment:

  1. Oh! :(

    While I can't understand the pregnancy thing and having to make Mosie move over, Dave and I certainly have made Mosie very high priority. I'm sure you'll do a good job making Toby feel loved... and Toby and the baby will have such fun together as the baby gets older!

    ReplyDelete