Tuesday, April 5, 2011

healthy by accident

Not too long ago I signed up for something called Green B.E.A.N delivery. Available to Northern Kentucky, Cincinnati, Dayton, and Columbus Green B.E.A.N delivers organic produce from local farmers right to your door. Every other Wednesday I find $35 worth of fresh organic fruits and vegetables waiting for me on my front porch and I love it.
I particularly like the vegetables. When I'm in the grocery store I frequently become frustrated with the desire to eat healthier greener things but hardly ever buying any because of how it looks or feeling lost as to how to incorporate it into dinner. But for some reason when all those beautiful vegetables show up at my door I have no trouble not only adding them to our diet but structuring our meals around them. 


It's also a great way to try new things. Every week a couple of days before delivery my order is put together and made available on line for me to see, then if I choose I can sub out things for produce that better suits our family (read "it's harder for some of us to eat vegetables than others..."). Well last week I forgot to check and edit so when we opened our box we found this:
It's red chard though it looks a lot like rhubarb and we had no idea what to do with it. So what do we do when we don't know? We google! It turns out that the green leaves are the part you eat and they taste like a more delicate spinach. We did some more googling and found a recipe that was surprisingly delicious. It was accidentally the healthiest, and the yummiest, meal we had all week.

1 comment:

  1. I love Aaron's skeptical face. Produce on your doorstep? Sounds like heaven!

    ReplyDelete