Thursday, April 7, 2011

He blogs!

Or at least I aspire to.  More often I'm reading other peoples' blogging handywork as I scroll through my Google Reader feed (highly recommended for those of you who enjoy information overload).  So where do I go for updates on the world when work affords a window of opportunity?  Some favorites and recommendations:


(1) Above the Law - awesome if you're a lawyer, law student, or know someone who is and can't quite make sense of why they are the way they are.  Essentially, ATL is a legal tabloid and go-to source for hilarious anecdotes about life as lawyer


(2) Tuned In - Time magazine's James Poniewozik represents a classier take on entertainment (mainly TV) news.  I enjoy the occasional "Morning After" reviews as well as his take on current events in the media





(3) Larry Sabato's Crystal Ball - less of a blog and more of a weekly commentary for us proud political junkies.  As the title would suggest, Sabato, a political science professor at UVa, has a penchant for accurately forecasting the outcomes of elections.  The site also offers the occasional regression analysis of voting behavior, for those so inclined.  I also enjoy the "Tweets of the Week"--it's rare to get pithy political insight from a PhD. 


On the lighter side...


(4) Pearls Before Swine - a somewhat irreverent comic strip that frequently "out funnys" Dilbert, Non Sequitur and the like.  


Pearls Before Swine
Of course, you have to be able to handle absurd characterizations (a gun-toting sea anemone) and outrageously horrible puns.

(5) Today's Big Thing - never at work, always at home.  Sometimes hilarious (see: icy hill in San Francisco), other times best left unwatched.  Still, worth a look every so often.  Case in point? These guys:


Tack on a mass of news feeds (CNN, NPR, WSJ, etc) and blogs from friends and family, and I'd say my online diversions pretty well sum me up.  Strange how that happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment