The Holidays are finally upon us. Step aside, Columbus Day, you were so October. It's late November, which means a whirlwind of decorating, undecorating, redecorating and finally, depression. But wait! Before the trail of frozen tears --also known as January 2-April 1--arrives, here are ten things that make the next six weeks completely worth 0 degrees Celsius.
(10)
The Peppermint Mocha

An old friend "returns" to Starbucks. I say "returns" only because I'm 65% sure they have peppermint syrup year round. Regardless, once it hits your lips, it's so good.
(9)
Real Christmas Trees
Growing up, we would make the annual post-Thanksgiving trek to Helt's Pines to seek out the perfect Christmas tree. After cutting it down ourselves, riding a hay wagon back to the parking lot, and bungeeing the thing to our family van, Christmas would officially start. Since Jath and I have been apartment dwellers for the last several years, however, we've been unable to carry on the tradition, instead opting for a lovely and lasting $50 "douglas fir" from Target. This year? It's real tree time.
(8)
Feasting
When else can you eat a 3,000 calorie lunch in one sitting, take a nap, and then decide to eat the same food between two slices of bread and call it dinner? And of course, Dec. 1-Dec. 25 = "I should probably buy two; they don't make these holiday-themed ____ year round, ya know. "
(7)
Vacation Days
Of course I am grateful for my job and the intellectual challenge (also, income) it provides. I'm just also very grateful for paid holidays.
(6)
Layering
I've always been a cold weather dresser, although with some limitations (it is possible to wear too many collared pieces of clothing at once). Now I finally have an excuse to break out the sweater vest and blazer...eat your heart out Virginia.
(5)
Christmas Music
Timing is everything here. Two radio stations in town have already begun round the clock Christmas music. In my family, we don't let Kenny Rogers out of his CD case until we've got a tree strapped to the roof of our car.
(4)
Holiday Movies
A list within a list: holiday films I will watch this year--including some against my will: It's A Wonderful Life (no one remembers the first 3/4 of this movie), Elf (Baby, it's cold outside), Charlie Brown Christmas (have you ever sung the word "loo" before?), Christmas Vacation (mainly for the gift-wrapped cat), and A Muppet Christmas Carol (because the 12 prior version weren't enough?)
(3)
Snow???
Snow in Indiana = hitting my face at 25 mph (i.e., it's windy). Snow in Virginia = shut this state down. Snow in Cleveland = it must not be June, July, or August. Snow here? Only time will tell.
(2)
Family!
(Alli was with us in spirit...and in the West Wing DVDs she got me).
We love them a lot and wish they all lived closer. This time of year, however, they all seem a little closer than normal.
(1)
Having a Baby!
Six weeks might be a bit optimistic for the first one but we're holding out hope that baby [we're not telling] will at least get here before the New Year. In truth, we'll take him whenever he wants to get here, even if it's in the middle of my fourth dinner roll.
!!Happy Thanksgiving!!
This is a perfect list of Christmas season joys. Now I am even more excited than I already was. Thanks for brightening my day. I'll miss you guys this weekend!
ReplyDelete