Thursday, October 20, 2011

More than Christ

Is there anything I want more than Christ?
The answer should be no and every day I desire it to be so, but in the reality of sin the answer too often is yes. Our culture puts high value on things that have no eternal significance, baiting a tantalizing hook that's difficult not to nibble at. I'm making a choice when my DVR is full and I haven't done my devotions, when I hear the baby crying in the middle of my quiet time, when I'm obsessing over the design of my house during church, when I start the morning by turning on the TV and pulling out my smart phone. The little nuances of life start to take over and before I know it I'm desiring them more than the relationship I hold with my Creator. It's a reminder that evaluation in our lives is key. 
I have found myself caught up in the busyness of life going and going until I'm feeling lost and disconnected, and it's here that I finally stop to evaluate what's happening. Have I been praying, reading, and communing with God or have I been placing the pleasures and chores of my daily life higher on my to-do list than I should? In truth I shouldn't wait until that moment when I'm feeling most overwhelmed to do an assessment but instead evaluate more frequently, weekly and even daily. 
What’s keeping me from wanting Christ the most? In my weakness alone the answer is everything but in His strength the answer is nothing.

2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful thought out and written and I loved it. And I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true! I've found myself in that same place recently. Thanks for this reminder. Glad I found your blog. Hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete