This weekend we finally made it out to a couple of local farmers markets though despite what my title might suggest we did not buy any fat pigs. We started out on Saturday morning visiting one in a church parking lot not too far from our house. It was a lot smaller than I expected, i.e. one farm and a group of Amish selling baked goods, but we still managed to make it out with some decent sized peaches, zucchini, onions and some samplings of musk melon.
On the way home we stopped at a furniture resale shop where a desk I’ve had my eye on was recently reduced in price. We seriously debated about the $45 purchase but in the end I didn’t feel like I could really justify needing a second desk right now. Why doesn’t being responsible ever feel as good initially as getting something you want? So to compensate we stopped at the bakery next door where I got some very tasty baklava and Aaron got a nut fudge brownie. Being responsible can be yummy.
A little later we went out to a market further away. This one was actually more of store that I think might operate year round. They had their own deli and frozen yogurt counters. Unfortunately we did not get any frozen yogurt since we had indulged earlier at the bakery pity stop. We did, however, make it out with an extra large cucumber, bananas, eggs and Jarlsburg cheese. It was a fun day and nice to be able to buy fresh local food. The peaches we got were tastier, bigger and cheaper than any I’d been able to find in the grocery stores this summer and the zucchini were at least twice the size of the ones I usually end up buying.
We stopped by yet another market on the way home from church today. We didn’t buy anything since we’d already gotten everything we needed on Saturday, but it was a bigger market and with the first one we visited closing for the year I’m sure we’ll be back to make some purchases in the future. Especially since they had both a bakery and a gelato booth…
| our purchases minus a piece of baklava and a nut fudge brownie |
Sounds so delicious! :)
ReplyDelete